The Neapolis Archaeological Park is the ancient Greece in all its splendor and includes most of the classical monuments present in Syracuse. Its was set up with the help of funds from the Fund for the South between 1952 and 1955, with the aim of grouping and facilitate sightseeing of the monuments of the important historic district Neapolis. Before the establishment of this “park”, the extension of 240,000 sq m., The monuments were in a very messy run by private properties. Entering the park you can see the “Basilica of St. Nicholas Cordari” (XI century AD), which now houses the tourist office welcome. A few meters away is the “Roman amphitheater” (II-IV century AD), located almost opposite the basilica, which represents one of the most representative of the early Roman Empire.
To the west of the Roman amphitheater will visit the “Altar of Hieron II” (third century BC), which characterizes the third great monumental discovery in the old park. Later, but still in the immediate vicinity, you will be going to the “Greek Theatre” (fifth century BC) which is the largest theater in Sicily, among the largest of the entire world greek. The greek theater is famous all over the world and still very active thanks to periodic and annual “Classic Performances” in Syracuse handled masterfully by INDA, National Institute Of Ancient Drama.
And yet in the park meet the “Latomie”, including the most famous is definitely the “Latomia of Paradise”, by which we arrive at “Ear of Dionysius”, which is the main attraction, the greek theater, for tourists who visit the city of Syracuse, both for its grandeur and for its characteristic shape. Outside the fence of the park, to the south, there is an Archaic theater carved into the rock, known as “Linear Theatre”.
The eastern limits of the Archaeological Park, visible from the outside, there is the “Necropolis Grotticelle”, with its numerous rock-cut tombs, including the “Tomb of Archimedes” at the foot of a huge almost ancient tree of incredible dimensions.